Summer calls for friends in the garden, a few drinks in the sunshine and dinner outside as the warmth of the day wanes. Yes, ok it's been a bit wet so far, but warmer weather is on the way and this BBQ Pulled Pork recipe is perfect as a lazy Sunday meal for the family, or the neighbours!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- boneless shoulder of pork (around 2.5kg for this recipe but if you've got a smaller one, just use less spices!)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 medium mugfuls of cider - any will do
- a mugful of a good barbecue sauce like this Chipotle & Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- soft white rolls
- coleslaw (optional but tastes good!)
HOW TO MAKE IT
1) Mix together the spices, sugar, salt and pepper, the rub it all over the pork
2) Put the pork in a big casserole dish, skin-side up, and pour in the cider
3) Cover with a lid and cook in the oven at 150C/130C fan/gas 2 for anywhere between 4 and 8 hrs until falling apart. Keep an eye on it in case it gets dry – if it does, add another mugful of cider
4) Take it out of the oven and put the meat in a big dish. Don't throw the liquid!
5) Cut the skin off, then shred the meat using two forks. Ditch any fatty bits, and skim any excess fat off the surface of the sauce
6) Add a mugful of the BBQ sauce to the leftover liquid, mix it in, then ladle some of it into a bowl for dipping (thank us later)
7) Put the pulled pork back in the casserole with the juices so it stays moist. Season to taste!
8) Serve in soft white rolls with coleslaw and anything else you fancy adding. Have the bowl of juices on the side for dipping your roll as you eat